chelsea

Chelsea's Adventures in Book Blogging...

I've fairly recently become obsessed with reading. This is just me sharing that love with the world. :)

Currently in the (apparently long) process of importing my books from GR.

Vampire Academy - Richelle Mead I am so used to buying indie books these days that I was appalled at the thought of starting a series in which each book is $9 (gasp!) I bit the bullet, though, and just finished the first book.I liked this book. I kind of wish it weren't based in high school, but you can't have it all. For a YA high school book though, it's pretty good. I LOVED Rose. What a wonderfully written badass heroine... how refreshing. She's good-looking, and is actually aware of that, thank God (not in a conceited way). She has a really witty, biting sense of humor that I loved. She's also fiercely loyal and protective of her friend, Lissa, which is probably good since she's Lissa's guardian. Something that seemed missing a bit from the book is getting to know Lissa. You don't get many interactions with her, mostly just Rose's opinion of her character & memories, without seeing her in action much. That's understandable though, since they're separated for most of the first book, so it didn't bother me much. And of course I liked Dimitri, except I'm not into the whole long hair thing, so I kept trying to pretend I wasn't reading that. But of course, I like the more subtle compliments & admirations, and that's what he's all about. I feel like the end set it up for some good longing, "wish I could have you but I can't" scenes!I didn't absolutely love this book in and of itself, but I did like it. I'll keep going with the series because I've read some really great reviews & this book seemed like it could be setting up for some really great things. So we'll see!