chelsea

Chelsea's Adventures in Book Blogging...

I've fairly recently become obsessed with reading. This is just me sharing that love with the world. :)

Currently in the (apparently long) process of importing my books from GR.

Playing for Keeps - R.L. Mathewson This was actually a Goodreads recommendation for me. To be honest, I didn't read any reviews or look into it really at all before I purchased it. The cover is super cheesy and it's 99 cents, so my expectations weren't soaring.I was definitely pleasantly surprised. There's a lot to like about this book. The initial meetcute of the fight over the flowers, then becoming friends before turning into a relationship. No instalove! Thank God. There were several laugh-out-loud moments and I loved the characters. The villains were sort of extra villain-ized, but that's ok. About of a third of the way through, it finally comes out that Haley's a virgin. Seriously, I said to myself, "Another virgin? God damn it." Up until that point, I had been really enjoying the book and was irritated, thinking it would be the same old "super hot, shy & low self esteem, haven't had sex because I'm just too darn innocent" story. Usually, in these books, things go from zero to penetration in 2.3 seconds, no mention of any foreplay. Luckily, this was not one of those books. She had been in relationships and was sexually experienced, but had made a conscious decision to abstain until she found someone she loved. Okay, I can deal with that.There were a couple things I could have lived without. The story gets a little dragged out at the end. You know where the story is headed and you kind of wish it would just hurry up and get there. At least, I did.Also, I'm pretty sure the book gods are punishing me for mentioning in my last review that I was liking the cute little inside-joke nicknames in these books. Well, I sure got my fill of that in this one. "My little grasshopper" over and over. Sometimes in every paragraph for a page. I wish I could find out how many times it was in there (I don't believe nook has this capability) but it was a LOT. All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and will definitely try out other books by this author.