chelsea

Chelsea's Adventures in Book Blogging...

I've fairly recently become obsessed with reading. This is just me sharing that love with the world. :)

Currently in the (apparently long) process of importing my books from GR.

Shine Not Burn - Elle Casey 3.5 stars... but rounding up to 4Well, I picked up this book because it sounded like a cute story, and I'm apparently not quite over my cowboy phase yet. This little gem ended up being quite a lot more than I expected, but there were a couple things missing for me, which is why it landed under 4 stars. Allow me to elaborate.I loved the story. I didn't want to put it down. I still don't. I was just on my way home, feeling excited to keep reading, only to realize I had finished the book already, much to my disappointment. It was fun to be with Andie on her journey to self-discovery. When she goes to Oregon, she sort of comes out of this fog she's been in for the past two years & begins to realize that perhaps she's been missing something."I drummed into my own head, this mantra of success, success, success...but where was the happiness? Where was the love? And why hadn't I realized this before?"And then there's Mack... "How could a guy that good in bed and this gorgeous be so nice? Doesn't it defy the very laws of Nature? Maybe he was an evolutionary mutant."He is my kind of alpha male. Strong, quiet type. Knows when to get scrappy, knows when to spill his heart, knows when to joke around, knows when to keep his mouth shut. Loved him. I also fell in love with his family, his town, his way of life, much as I'm sure Ms. Casey had intended. Well done.As I said, this book took me a bit by surprise. I was expecting a cute, fun read, which I did get. But it threw in some very thoughtful, meaningful parts. "Luceo non uro means I shine, not burn. To me, though, it means that I have a choice. I need to balance the bad with the good, make sure to avoid the things that could burn or scar me but get close enough to the heat that I feel life and really experience it."There were also a few small comments and a few large sections that had me laughing hysterically. This wasn't just a silly chick lit book, it was more than that. So, why not 4 stars?The issue I had was with Andie's reluctance to be with Mack. Not just because of that fact itself, but because her reluctance wasn't well explained. And explaining it would have been so easy to do. If her fiance hadn't been such a jerk, her apprehension would've made sense if she didn't want to hurt him. But he was a huge jerk & nobody cared. It could also have been explained by her childhood issues somehow, but it wasn't. She just seemed hell bent on the fact that they couldn't be together, but nobody knows why. It just left too big a gap for me to really connect with the story the way I would have liked to.PS, I'd like to give some extra points for this book having a creative, original title that is relevant to the story. Hooray! Seems like a rarity these days.